CAL STATE STUDENT ASSOCIATION
The Cal State Student Association, also known as CSSA, is a nonprofit student organization founded by student body presidents in 1959. Recognized by the California State University (CSU) Trustees and the California legislature as the official voice of CSU students, CSSA has long advocated for access to an affordable and high-quality CSU education. It is by CSSA’s work that student voices are included when it comes to decisions made by the CSU Chancellor, CSU Trustees, and the state legislature. CSSA works to ensure that the students are at the forefront of higher education policy in California.
Every month, an assembly of CSU student leaders meet to discuss pertinent higher education issues in order to strategize solutions to improve the college experience for students. These student leaders come from each of the 23 CSU campuses and make up the CSSA Board of Directors. Elected CSSA student officers and professional staff carry out these directives on a daily basis year-round.
CSSA is funded by a $2 fee, assessed twice a year to all CSU students, called the Student Involvement & Representation Fee or SIRF. Initiated and developed by the CSSA, SIRF creates a more independent and effective statewide student association with the main objective of expanding CSSA’s efforts to serve all CSU students. The fee creates direct accountability of CSSA to the students it serves by giving students a choice to participate (or not) in SIRF and support the organization that represents their interests. For more information about SIRF please click here.
Some of the recent successes CSSA has made for students include the following:
- Improving college textbook affordability
- Combating food insecurity
- Ensuring student participation in the governance of the CSU system
- Empowering students to lead sustainability initiatives at their campuses
- Partnering with the Secretary of State and CSU Chancellor’s Office to register students to vote
- Hosting a summit to educate CSU students on higher education legislation and issues
- Successfully advocating for more state funding for the CSU system
More information regarding our recent accomplishments, legislative successes, and student programs can be found throughout this website.